- A concrete example is the upcoming appointment of a special ambassador for the work of implementing UNSCR 1325. Other concrete examples from the field include Sudan, where Sweden is contributing some 45 million SEK, via UNIFEM, to a variety of organisations promoting women’s role and participation. Sweden also contributes to UNIFEM in Afghanistan with some 62 million SEK, including for support to the Afghan National Action Plan for Women. Additional contributions are directed to the Swedish Committee for Afghanistan, ‘and their programmes for girls. We have also been active strengthening the gender perspective in EU crisis management, for example, we have sent gender advisers/focal points to EU-missions (such as EULEX/Kosovo, EUSEC/EUPOLIDRC and EUMM/Georgia).
- Sweden welcomes the new UN entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) and we congratulate its first Executive Director: Mrs. Michelle Bachelet. Sweden will support her coming efforts in a substantial manner, both financially and politically.
- We welcome the efforts of the senior Police Adviser of the DPKO, including her struggle to increase the number of female police officers in peacekeeping operations since this also responds to operational needs on the ground. Sweden is committed to continuing to sustain at least the same proportion of female police officers in peacekeeping operations as in the National Police Service.
Commitments made on October 26, 2010 (see SC Open Debate)
- Sweden commits to increase the number of Swedish women in police contingents in peace-keeping operation so that the proportion in PKO will be at least the same as the proportion of women in the Swedish Police Force.
Policy | Civil Society Engagement | Financial
- Sweden commits to vigorously implement our second National Action Plan for 1325 for the period 2009 – 2012, as well as our development cooperation policies relevant to UN Security Council Resolution 1325.
- Sweden believes that civil society has a key role in promoting and implementing 1325. Sweden commits to continue to cooperate closely with NGOs nationally and internationally.
Prior commitments made on September 23, 2010 (see full statement)